1.2 Who makes Leanwords Online Services available to me and what should I do if I have questions, comments, complaints or enquiries?
Leanwords Online Services are made available to you by the Leanwords team, which consists of (but is not limited to) writers, editors, internal administration, and our creative team.
Any reference in the Terms to “you” or “your” means you as a non-business user of Leanwords Online Services.
If you have any questions about the Terms or your use of Leanwords Online Service or if you have any comments or complaints about Leanwords Online Services, you can contact Leanwords at …
If you receive any enquiries that relate to Leanwords, any Leanwords’ online service and/or Leanwords Content, you should promptly refer such inquires to:
If you think that Leanwords Content and/or any Leanwords online service should not be appearing on a website, blog or service then please contact us.
- What are Leanwords Online Services?
2.1 In the Terms:
“Leanwords Online Service(s)” are any Leanwords or other Leanwords-authorised internet services, websites, products and/or software applications that enable you to access, view and/or listen to Leanwords Content on compatible devices and are identified as “Leanwords Online Services” in Additional Terms. Leanwords Online Services include the website at Leanwords.com and Leanwords Embedded Media Player.
“Leanwords Content” means audio, video, text, images or other content made available by the Leanwords to you through Leanwords Online Services and may sometimes include content that is owned or controlled by third parties that the Leanwords is permitted to make available to you through the relevant Leanwords Online Service.
2.2 Availability of Leanwords Content
Leanwords Content is selected, edited, updated and made available to you by the Leanwords through Leanwords Online Services at its sole discretion. The period of time during which you may access, view and/or listen to Leanwords Content using Leanwords Online Services may vary. This is usually because of agreements that the Leanwords has with owners of rights in parts of Leanwords Content.
2.3 Leanwords Editorial Control of Leanwords Content
You acknowledge that the Leanwords has absolute editorial control over all Leanwords Content at all times.
- How can I use Leanwords Online Services?
3.1 How you may use Leanwords Online Services
3.2 How you may NOT use Leanwords Online Services
- 3.2.1 General restrictions on how you may use Leanwords Online Services to access, view and/or listen to Leanwords Content
- (a) You may not infringe or try to infringe the privacy or other rights of other Leanwords Online Services users. This includes you storing or trying to store personal data or usage details of other Leanwords Online Services users.
- (b) You may not infringe any applicable law (for instance copyright law) when using Leanwords Online Services to access, view or listen to Leanwords Content.
- (c) You may not subject the Leanwords Online Services and/or the Leanwords Content to any derogatory treatment or use them in such a way that would bring Leanwords into disrepute, or cause Leanwords to incur liability to any third party.
- (e) You may not directly or indirectly charge others for accessing, viewing or listening to any Leanwords Content, or commercialise or attempt to re-sell Leanwords Content in any way, which includes advertising or selling any goods and services which offer Leanwords Content including any third party software applications.
- (f) You may not directly or indirectly suggest any endorsement or approval by the Leanwords of a product or service (for instance, a personal website) or any non-Leanwords entity, product or content or any belief or opinion expressed within a product or service.
- (g) You may not disrupt or try to disrupt Leanwords Online Services. You agree not to use Leanwords Online Services to distribute software viruses or other harmful programs, or use Leanwords Online Services to engage in harmful, harassing or otherwise objectionable activity, including activity-inhibiting access to Leanwords Online Services by others.
- (h) You may not harass or cause distress or inconvenience to any other person using Leanwords Online Services or transmit obscene or offensive content or disrupt the normal flow of dialogue within Leanwords Online Services, in particular, on Leanwords message boards and blogs.
- (i) Additional Terms for particular Leanwords Online Services may allow you to display the Leanwords Content on your website, blog or other product or service, but you may not display Leanwords Content where it is on or in connection with Excluded Products or Services, namely products or services which: contain pornography and sexually explicit content;
- Contain offensive text or images;
- Incite hatred whether based on race, religion, gender, sexuality or otherwise, or promote, encourage or facilitate anti-social behaviour;
- Contain gratuitous violence or promote, encourage or facilitate violence;
- Promote, encourage or facilitate terrorism or other activities that risk national security;
- Discriminate against any specific social group or otherwise exploit vulnerable sections of society;
- Promote, facilitate or encourage illegal activity;
- Are misleading, defamatory, or that contain illegal, or otherwise actionable content under Canadian law;
- Infringe individual privacy;
- Put the welfare of children at risk;
- Promote the tobacco industry or the armaments industry (including gun clubs);
- Where presence of a Leanwords application might be perceived as damaging the Leanwords reputation for accuracy and impartiality; and
- Bring Leanwords into disrepute.
- This list is not exhaustive and may be amended by Leanwords from time to time (collectively referred to as “Excluded Products or Services”).
- Who owns or has rights in Leanwords Online Services and Leanwords Content?
4.1 Rights in Leanwords Online Services and Leanwords Content
All copyright, trademarks, design rights, patents and other intellectual property rights (registered and unregistered) in and on Leanwords Online Services and Leanwords Content belong to Leanwords and/or third parties (which may include you or other users). Leanwords reserves all of its rights in Leanwords Content and Leanwords Online Services. Nothing in the Terms grants you a right or licence to use any trademark, design right or copyright owned or controlled by the Leanwords or any other third party except as expressly provided in the Terms.
4.2 Digital Rights Management
So that Leanwords can meet its obligations to third parties who own rights in Leanwords Content, Leanwords may embed digital rights management security in Leanwords Online Services or Leanwords Content and/or use other content-protection measures. You may not adjust or circumvent or try to adjust or circumvent these technical measures.
- How can I make contributions to Leanwords?
5.2 If you submit your contribution to Leanwords you must allow Leanwords to use the material in your contribution in any way it may reasonably choose on a free-of-charge basis in any media throughout the world. Leanwords may moderate any contributions you make. This means they may be reviewed, edited and/or removed. Leanwords reserves the right to remove any of your contributions if Leanwords believes that they do not comply with the Terms.
5.3 You grant Leanwords the right to change or edit the materials in your contribution for operational and editorial reasons. Leanwords may also share your contribution with trusted third parties, for instance with other users of Leanwords Online Services or, in the case of news-related material, Leanwords may share your contribution with its overseas partners.
5.4 Any copyright in your contribution will remain with you and this permission is not exclusive, so you can continue to use the material you contribute in any way including allowing others to use it.
5.5 You confirm that your contribution is your own original work, is not defamatory or unlawful and does not infringe anyone else’s rights (including privacy rights) and that it complies with the Terms. You also confirm that your contribution is made in your personal (rather than business) capacity and that such contribution does not unfairly promote or further any business activities and has not been contributed for commercial gain. You also confirm that you have the consent of anyone who is identifiable in your contribution or the consent of their parent/guardian if they are under the age of 16.
5.6 We normally show your name with your contribution, unless you request otherwise, but for operational reasons this is not always possible.
5.7 Leanwords may need to contact you for administrative or verification purposes in relation to your contribution, or in relation to particular projects.
5.8 Please do not endanger yourself or others, take any unnecessary risks or break any laws when creating any content you may share with Leanwords
5.9 As part of your contribution, Leanwords may ask you to provide some personal information. Leanwords will keep your personal information secure and will only use it for the purposes specified. All personal information held by Leanwords will be held in accordance with the terms of applicable data protection laws.
5.10 If you do not want to grant Leanwords permission to use your contributions in accordance with the Terms, please do not share with or submit them to.
5.11 If you have any questions about contributing content to the Leanwords, please contact us at email@example.com
- What are the features of Leanwords Online Services and how do they work?
6.1 Leanwords Online Services and your device
You can use Leanwords Online Services on a variety of compatible devices. The Terms apply to your use of Leanwords Online Services on any device. Leanwords Online Services or some of the features and functionalities may not be available on all devices. Leanwords makes no guarantee that all or any features of Leanwords Online Services will work on any particular device.
6.2 Interacting with Leanwords Online Services and other Leanwords Online Services users
If you interact with Leanwords Online Services and other users of Leanwords Online Services Leanwords may need to use some of your personal information.
- 6.2.1 Do I need to have a Leanwords account to interact with Leanwords Online Services and other Leanwords Online Services users?
- Some of the features and functions of Leanwords Online Services are only available to users who have a free Leanwords website login.
- 6.2.2 Favourite Leanwords Content and Categories
- Leanwords Online Services may give you the option to choose your favourite Leanwords Content and/or your favourite categories of Leanwords Content. You may subscribe to Leanwords via email and receive weekly trending content and your favourite content.
- 6.2.3 Connecting with other Leanwords Online Services users
- Some of the Leanwords Online Services allow you to connect with your contacts or friends from social networking services who use Leanwords Online Services at the same time as you do, subject to any other terms or conditions which apply to your use of the relevant social networking services.
Users may see advertisements on some Leanwords Online Services. These advertisements are provided and delivered by Leanwords partners.
- What obligations do I have under the Terms?
7.1 Compliance with the Terms
You must comply with the Terms, in particular the General restrictions on how you may use Leanwords Online Services.
7.2 Expenses, equipment and software
You are solely responsible for paying all expenses you may incur when you access or use Leanwords Online Services or access or download Leanwords Content including your internet or data service provider charges and any excess charges to that provider if you have a limit on the amount of data you can download together with all costs of the equipment and software you need to connect to and use Leanwords Online Services. Accessing and using some Leanwords Online Services features to access, download, view or listen to Leanwords Content (especially video or audio) may lead to substantial bandwidth usage by you which can be expensive so you should be careful you do not exceed any ‘bandwidth cap’ on your account with your internet or data service provider. Leanwords is not responsible if your equipment or software is not compatible with any Leanwords Online Service. Leanwords Content may be streamed or downloaded to your device from servers owned and operated by Leanwords or (on behalf of Leanwords) by third-party content distribution networks to enhance your experience when you watch or listen to Leanwords Content.
7.3 Managing your account details and activity
You are solely responsible for keeping your Leanwords account username and password (if you have them) confidential and you are responsible for all activity that occurs under your Leanwords account.
- How does the Leanwords use my personal information?
Leanwords uses your personal information in compliance with the Canadian Privacy Act
- What are Leanwords legal obligations to me and how do the terms limit the Leanwords liability?
9.1 The basis on which Leanwords makes the Leanwords Online Services available to you
Leanwords does not guarantee that all Leanwords Content and/or Leanwords Online Services will always be available or be uninterrupted, timely, secure or free from bugs, viruses, errors and omissions.
Leanwords reserves its right to modify, suspend or discontinue all or part of any Leanwords Online Service or any part of Leanwords Content without giving you any notice.
Any commentary, opinions or other materials included in Leanwords Content are not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely.
9.2 Types of loss or damage the Leanwords is not responsible for
Leanwords is not responsible for the following kinds of loss or damage that may arise from your use of Leanwords Online Services:
- 9.2.1 loss or damage suffered by you or someone else when Leanwords complies with the Terms;
- 9.2.2 loss or damage which is caused by Leanwords when it does not comply with the Terms but which Leanwords and you could not anticipate nor expect to happen when you started using Leanwords Online Services;
- 9.2.3 any loss which is indirect or a side effect of the main loss or damage and which Leanwords and you could not anticipate nor expect to happen when you started using Leanwords Online Services, for instance if you lose revenue or salary, profit, opportunity or reputation;
- 9.2.4 provided Leanwords complies with Privacy laws, any loss of data or damage to your device or software; and
- 9.2.5 any loss or damage if Leanwords Online Services are not provided to you or are interrupted or suspended or if Leanwords does not comply with the Terms because of events beyond Leanwords control, such as an act of God, accident, fire, lockout, strike or other official or unofficial labour dispute, civil commotion, rule or order or act of Government or other act or event beyond the reasonable control of Leanwords.
Nothing in the Terms excludes or limits either the Leanwords or your liability for death or personal injury caused by negligence or for fraud.
9.3 Your legal rights as a consumer
As a consumer, you may have certain legal rights regarding claims in respect of losses caused by Leanwords’ negligence or the failure by Leanwords to carry out its obligations. Nothing in the Terms is intended to limit your legal rights as a consumer. For further information about your legal rights you can contact your local authority.
- How can Leanwords stop making Leanwords Online Services available to me, and what happens if it does so?
10.1 Leanwords right to stop making Leanwords Online Services available to you
Leanwords reserves the right to stop making all or any part of the Leanwords Online Services available to you with immediate effect and without notice if:
- 10.1.1 in its sole reasonable opinion you are using Leanwords Content, Leanwords Online Services and/or any other Leanwords service, inappropriately (for instance harassing or causing distress or inconvenience to any other person), incompetently or in any way that may constitute derogatory treatment of Leanwords or might bring Leanwords into disrepute or in a way that might be considered to be prejudicial to the image of Leanwords.
- 10.1.2 you breach the Terms in a way that cannot be corrected, or you fail to correct a breach within a reasonable period of time if Leanwords asks you to do so; or
- 10.1.3 there is, in Leanwords reasonable opinion, any reason why Leanwords Online Services must be withdrawn.
10.2 What happens if Leanwords stops making Leanwords Online Services available to me?
If Leanwords stops making Leanwords Online Services available to you, you may be asked to delete all Leanwords Content downloaded by you to your device(s).
11.1 What happens if Leanwords does not enforce a right against me?
If Leanwords decides not to exercise or enforce any right that it has against you at a particular time, then this does not prevent Leanwords from later deciding to exercise or enforce that right.
11.2 What happens if any part of the Terms is found to be ineffective?
If any part of the Terms is found to be illegal, invalid or otherwise unenforceable by a court or regulator, then, where required, that part shall be deleted from the Terms and the remaining parts of the Terms will continue to be enforceable.
11.3 Third parties
The Terms do not create or infer any rights that are enforceable by any person who is not party to the Terms.
11.4 Transfer of rights
You may not assign, sub-license or otherwise transfer any of your rights and obligations in the Terms to any other person.
11.5 What happens if there is a dispute arising out of the Terms?
Any disputes arising out of the Terms will be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of Canada. If you choose to bring proceedings in connection with the Terms you must do so in the courts of Canada.