At least, seven people have been confirmed dead in Nigeria in a mass electrocution while watching a soccer match.
According to reports, fans of English football club, Manchester United had gathered to watch the club’s Europa League match against Belgian side, Anderlecht when a high-tension cable fell on the crowded shack. The roof was made out of zinc, which transferred the electricity to those inside.
The BBC reports that, at least, 30 people were rushed to the hospital after the incident, while dozens more manages to escape.
Manchester United responded to news of the incident in a tweet expressing condolences.
“Our thoughts go out to the United fans, their friends and families affected by the tragedy in Calabar, Nigeria, yesterday”, the tweet read.
Ben Ayade, the governor of Cross River State said, “It was heart-wrenching that the lives of the young men were lost through electrocution.”
A statement from State House said Mr Buhari was “shocked and saddened” to learn of the tragic event.
The death of “the mostly young victims” the statement adds, “is a big blow not only to their families, but also to the football-loving nation”.